Monday, December 1, 2008

Hannah Montana

Every person in the English speaking world has heard of her at some point or another and pretty much every little girl from the ages of 8-14 practically worship her.  The kid just had her 16th birthday and little dolls that look like her are at the top of every preteen's Christmas list this year.  My question...what is our world coming to??

Don't get me wrong, I don't deny that she is a talented individual when it comes to singing.  Secretly, I used to blare her song "See you Again" in my car on the way to school and sing along.  I know, I'm ashamed to admit it.  

I went into Target the other day with my mom and there were literally two whole rows, maybe more, dedicated to toys that had to do with Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus.  I seriously, for the life of me, cannot comprehend the attraction to this girl.  She has the twangiest accent (although not half as bad as the boy that plays her brother on the TV show) and I find it kind of weird that kids are so interested in someone with a dual personality.  How can anything good come out of that?

Miley Cyrus is still a child in my opinion, yet has become the center of attention for an entire nation and even countries around the world.  Is our world so shallow that this is what we have to have to entertain ourselves?  She is not much of a role model for little 8 year olds considering she is 16 and has a 20 year old model boyfriend and at the age of 15 had revealing, "inappropriate" pictures taken of her for a magazine.  Granted, I don't blame her for any of it.  She should just be allowed to be a normal teenager, but with the media hounding her every minute of her life and expecting her to be the perfect role model for her young fan crowd how can she be expected to do so?  The whole situation in my opinion is just ridiculous and kind of pathetic on the parts of American society to allow children and even people in general to become the center of our lives because they appear on TV often.  


No comments: